Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Week #10 - Geocaching

We all remeber Easter Egg hunts right? A few of you might even have done some orienteering in your time? What absolute fun! Fun to do on your own, but awesome fun to do when it is a race to be first to find the treasure or next clue or whatever. I have heard a bit about Geocaching but never really read up on it. It looks like a bunch of fun. I will definately be hassling my wife about getting an app on her phone so we can have a crack at it.

I think the way that Notre Dame is using Geocaching is an excellent, practical way to help people learn the layout of an institution. It would get first year students quite familiar with the inside and out of buildings etc. I think it would work better on a large scale like a university, but i'm sure it could be adapted to help people learn the layout of a library.

I think that copying the Chicago Public Library’s Helps Teens “Find History” program, and putting caches at historical sites around the City of Cockburn would be a good way to get people of all ages involved with our local history.

I reckon the good ol’ Easter egg hunt, or a treasure hunt for kids would be a great use of Geocaching in the library aswell.

2 comments:

  1. I had never heard of this, but found it interesting to see how many sites there are in my local area and how many of these had been found in the last 6 months.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Geocaching - never heard of it but sounds fun if you have a GPS device.
    Enjoyed your blog excellent summaries

    ReplyDelete