Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Week #10 - Wrap-up

As part of the tech team at Cockburn Libraries, I don't think there is any web 2.0 technology that shouldn't be explored. These technologies are only out there because people use them, and it is our job as information providers to make sure that we are available to educate people on their uses.

Currently we have Linda who manages our Twitter, Lawley who manages our Blogs, LibraryThing, Facebook and pretty much everything else (and is currently looking into Podcasting), Jenni who manages our Picasa/Flickr and me (why am I even in this tech team) actually I guess I have made some pages RSSable and done some other odds and ends. Long story short, we want to encourage staff to be able to teach, customers to be able to learn and everyone to understand the concept of web2.0 and the amazing benefits it has to the provision of information and the enrichment of life.

Despite having worked quite a bit with a number of web2.0 technologies, this course and the readings it has provided have taught me quite a lot about the uses of web2.0. There is a lot more to understanding web2.0 technologies than simply using them.

I think that of all of the technologies we learned about during this course, I can see Geocaching as having the least use in the Library field. Although it looks to be the most enjoyable, the other technologies seem to have more immediate and practical applications to the Libarary.

Thanks for the awesome web2.0 course.

Peace out.

12 comments:

  1. Thanks for your kind words Adrian!

    I decided to add Geocaching in at the end of the program for to reasons:

    1. It shows that not all Web 2.0 technology keeps us "stuck at the computer inside all day" and

    2. It's coming up until Christmas. As long as its not a scorcher, this could be a fun activity for those Boxing Day festivities.

    Mel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe you've finished already.

    ReplyDelete
  3. See that you are all done now. Got your eyes on the big prize have ya!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Adrian just a quick Thank you for all the help you have given me over these last few weeks I don't know how much I have retained but hopefully I remember some of it THANKS again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good work man! I'm struggling a bit to find the time but hopefully I'm not too far behind you..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey congratulations. You really know how to use this technology! Did you know you were the first follower on my blog, when I didn't know anything about followers - I thought I had a stalker :) Now I am getting to stalk others - Web 2.0 technology = gr8

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, I'm so impressed about how much staff time Cockburn has invested in using these technologies. It's great to see and hopefully after this training staff at City of Swan will feel confident and eager to explore the potential...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats Adrian on finishing the course and in such record time! You have been a great inspiration to the other staff and have always been willing to give a helping hand when needed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really enjoyed this course and found out things I had never heard of.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations that you have wrapped up! I was under the impressions that I had also done the wrapping about a week or so before Christmas, submitting even the evaluation feedback survey form dutifully. "Alamak" was just alerted by supervisor that I "did not complete" because of the missing comments! A big ??? to as I thougt I had done the 5 comments after each lesson. Something went missing when I did the Comment on selected bloggers, eh? I can only blame my white matters growing more than the grey matters in my poor brain!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow you finished so early, I really enjoyed it too once i got my teeth into it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Free the fishes I say!! see my blog Ranting a hobby to understand this comment

    ReplyDelete