Thursday, November 18, 2010

Week #9 - Podcasts

Once again our IT department has blocked another terribly malicious web2.0 technology. The dreaded mp3??? It doesn't make it that easy to be web2.0 savvy when all of your avenues of communication to the outside world are severed due possible security breaches. It's like locking yourself inside your house and never answering your phone or a knock at the door because it may be something malicious... I ask you, 'is that living?'

Much like video, there are many great possibilities for the use of audio on the library website. The obvious uses that I am sure are being used by many local libraries already are the recording of oral histories, storytime and other events. Podcasting audiobooks is another use, that will be a standard in the not too distant future.

Screencasting is something we have talked about doing for a while now at Cockburn libraries. Setting up a kind of help page which will have screencasts on how to...'search our catalogue', 'reserve an item', book in for an event' etc. Pretty much eveything we want borrowers to be able to do online could have its associated screencast. It is a lot easier to do something once you have seen it done.

I haven’t really spent a lot of time with podcasting, other than listening to uni lectures online, and occasionally visiting the ABC Classic FM site although I think it is a great resource for libraries to implement into their online services.

Also check out Neil deGrasse Tyson's podcasts. Mentored by Carl Sagan, this guy is half genius, half comedian and is easily up there with the geniuses of all time.

3 comments:

  1. Ooooh thanks for the link - I'll give him a listen :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It doesn't make it that easy to be web2.0 savvy when all of your avenues of communication to the outside world are severed due possible security breaches. It's like locking yourself inside your house and never answering your phone or a knock at the door because it may be something malicious... I ask you, 'is that living?'

    This made me laugh because I know what you mean! Our Web 2.0 training is optional, BUT if we opt to do it we have to do a healthy portion of it at home because our work computer security system is so rigid. I ask you, "is that living?" :)

    Of course, I love web 2.0, so if I'm going to play with it at home anyway, I might as well learn something new while I'm at it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will check out Neil's podcasts, I love a good laugh.

    ReplyDelete